Thursday

Traveling Sketchbook


This past week I was sent a traveling sketchbook, a wonderful diversion from all the insanity that is our world right now...such a productive way to process the events of the day away from a screen. The directions were simple: work in the book for eight days, and on the eighth day mail it to another artist. 

Artist Unknown

I really enjoyed perusing the past pages and the imagery and ideas presented by the artists before me. A delicious variety of media and themes... social issues such as voting, the pandemic and more recently vaccines and politics. 

Artist: Jason Lord

During the eight days, I used cuttings from the newspapers detailing the very important and historic democratic win in Georgia on January 6th overshadowed by the Insurrection, followed by mounting pandemic news and then the 2nd Impeachment. I love to use priority mail stickers, a gelli plate, color pencils, gel and paint pens.  There was no shortage of fodder or media for me. 

Ebb & Flow of Covid              (one of my contributions)

It was such a nice way to spend my evenings, I was a little sad to send it on today. The sketchbook is on its way to a dear friend that is also an artist and I am sure it will be nice company for her during the Inauguration and an escape from what could be a nutty week. She will also enjoy the opportunity and send it on to another artist to continue its journey.

The beginning of this year is off to such a tumultuous start,  this was a cathartic diversion. I wish there was a way to see it when it is complete.





No comments:

Post a Comment