Sunday

Developing an Inquiry






Developing a thoughtful research topic has been tough, not because I could not think of worthy topic, rather I currently have a one track mind. I want to expand the idea of the November election and voting by mail. However, it is as if my mind is stuck on that loop. I finished reading On Tryanny, which contributes to the drive to make artwork to promote voting, it is my own personal call to action in this time of such pain and social unrest. Does voting really have the power to change our current vernacular? 
Today I also prepped the chemicals for Cyanotypes, they will be ready for use tomorrow.  I perused digital imagery from my photos that would be appropriate for the media, and printed 8x11 digital negatives. I chose these images, the top left a portrait of whimsical spirit animals on a platform where confederate statues once were. (General's Stonewall Jackson & Robert E. Lee) Although that was taken off the platform in 2017, very relevant given the statues being torn down in these last two weeks. The far right is a train track in Richmond, and the bottom most left are two of the large murals the city is famous for. I will also explore organic finds in my yard,  botanicals make for such rich cyanotyopes.

The linoleum block is a little trickier, I do not want to be so literal, however currently all I seem to see when I look at it is a mailing envelope, text stating the obvious or gears and patterns. I want to explore the gears and patterns more, as a metaphor for the system of democracy. I think as I am working with Cyanotypes and revisiting my gelli prints a more concrete design will emerge. I am intrigued with the life and artwork of Deborah Kass, and was definitely immediately engaged in this article that came out yesterday in Hyperallergic. She is ironic, sarcastic and timely. Kass's work invites challenging conversations. Her acknowledgement of power, who has it, and who deserves it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment