Wednesday


                       
 
      The New York Trip was outstanding! We accomplished so much in two day! I am just going to highlight the Chelsea Gallery district today. The photography students loved the tour, even though we were schlepping through giant snowflakes and high winds! The art work was riveting. We saw a variety of digital installations, photography, painting and sculptural installations.
 
                   Doug Aitken was a favorite at 303 Gallery with his installation that took out part of the concrete floor and had water dripping from the ceiling it tantalized the senses! Additionally we got to see the always edgy street artist from the 80's  Jean-Michel Basquiat at the Gagosian.   Another highlight, Ragnar kjartansson's a nine panel video and musical installation that really made an impact with the students!  Charlotte Dumas had a very intimate portrait exhibit at the Julie Saul Gallery of the burial horses from Arlington National Cemetery. It was an incredibly handled and remarkable viewing experience.
                     Merrily Kerr did a fabulous job moving the students through each gallery space and safely in the crazy snow!  Sadly, it was snowing so hard I was doing my best just to walk (those of you who know me, know this a challenge on a sunny day) and not fall down that I did not get any photos of the snow! My students captured some lovely images, perhaps they will let me share here sometime.
        This first experience in New York really set the tone and raised the bar for a superb trip! More soon....
                       

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous trip! Will go back and check out the links, too...glad you didn't fall down!

    So bummed, but happy at the same time - leaving for Denver tomorrow, but also means I have to miss Empty Bowls this year. If you need a Potter bowl, I'm sure Jaci wouldn't mind running in and grabbing you one - let her know. Love to you and yourn'! ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never ventured to New York, perhaps it is the mention of SNOW!! EEEEK! I am a desert rat, always have been always will be. But I would love to see more photos of the artwork you saw!!! Oh Yes, please!!

    ReplyDelete